We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Replaced by Tier 1

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) Replaced by Tier 1

The Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) has been substituted by Tier 1 (General), a sub-category of the first program in the UK’s new 5-tier points based structure. If you are highly skilled and would like to live and work in the UK or you are looking to prolong your leave to remain with your present HSMP visa, you will need to qualify under the new Tier 1 (General) rules, and our immigration solicitors in London can guide you through the entire process.

Details about Tier 1 visa in the UK

People who want to relocate to London, UK on a Tier 1 visa basis need to know that this type of document is distributed only for highly skilled persons. Our London immigration lawyer can offer complete support in this matter. The Tier 1 (General) is no longer available for general reasons, as it was closed to candidates living outside the UK. The British visa issued on a Tier 1 basis is still available for financiers or stockholders or for post-study work in the United Kingdom:

  •     age (5-20 points);
  •     previous earnings (5- 75 points);
  •     qualifications (25-45 points);
  •     UK experience (5 points);
  •     English language ability;
  •     available funds to support yourself in the UK.

As a reminder, the Tier 1 visa is available only for citizens outside European Economic Area (EEA) and also Switzerland. Although you can no longer apply for a Tier 1 (General) visa, existing Tier 1 visa holders may be able to apply for an extension. Our UK immigration lawyer can offer support and legal advice.

We can offer legal assistance if you apply for HSMP

If you would like to apply for an extension to a present Tier 1 (General) visa, you should solicit help and legal assistance from our UK immigration lawyer, our team being specialized in a wide range of visa categories. Once you have been accepted for a UK Tier 1 Visa you should apply for either entry permission to come to the UK (if you are not from the UK) or leave to remain (if you are currently in the UK). If you want to come and work in the UK now, it is possible that a Tier 2 (General) visa will be the right one for you. To qualify for a Tier 2 (General) visa, you will need to have an offer from a UK company.

Please don’t hesitate to contact our immigration solicitors in London, in order to obtain proper guidance and information regarding the highly skilled migrant program in the UK. Our London immigration lawyer can assist foreigners in varied visa aspects.