We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Civil Partner Visa for UK

Civil Partner Visa for UK

A civil partner visa for UK, the same as a marriage visa for people of opposite sex, allows an individual who is in a same-sex relationship to live in the UK with his/her British citizen or UK permanent resident partner. The visa candidate has to be a citizen of a non-European Economic Area (EEA) country. A civil partnership is a registered relationship between two people of the same sex. In this matter, our immigration solicitors in London can provide complete support and legal advice.

Requirements for civil partner visa for UK 

If two partners of the same sex are in a relationship similar to a marriage, they can apply for this type of visa. In order to qualify for a civil partner visa for UK, the candidate has to prove that:

  •     he/she is at least 16 years of age;
  •     he/she is free from other commitments to engage in a civil partnership (single, divorced, or widowed);
  •     he/she is not closely related to his/her partner;
  •     he/she has met his/her partner prior to the date of the visa application;
  •     he/she is in a civil partnership with his/her same-sex partner;
  •     he/she lives together with his/her partner;
  •    he/she is able to support himself/herself and his/her children, if any, or that they can be supported by the candidate’s partner, without having to appeal to public funds.
  •     the couple has to prove they have appropriate accommodation for themselves and their dependants, if any.

Legal civil partnership or same-sex marriages in the UK

Two partners of the same sex can:

  •     register for a legal partnership in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland;
  •     get married in England, Scotland and Wales;
  •     convert their civil partnership into a marriage in England, Scotland and Wales.

Civil partner visa if the partner is settled in UK

If you are a citizen from a country outside EU (European Union) or EEA (Europan Economic Area) and you wish to join the same-sex partner who is established in UK, you are suggested to apply for a family of a settled person visa. This kind of application is recommended for citizens who want to stay in the country for more than just 6 months and can be prolonged on request. Please consider that if you stay in UK for less than 6 months, a marriage or a civil partnership visitor visa is required. This visa does not allow you to work in the UK, apply for public funds or study for more than 30 days, as a different type of visa is available on this matter.

Documents and other conditions for a civil partner visa for UK

While in UK with your partner, it is necessary to give notice at the designated register office within 28 days about the intention of getting married in the country. The foreign citizen must provide details about his/her nationality, address, and other personal data, where the passport and the ID are required. And in cases where the partners already live in the UK, one with foreign nationality must offer proof he/she has the indefinite leave to remain status in the UK. Besides that, the main requirements are related to financial matters, English language skills, and relationships. Please consider that the conditions regarding the financial aspects before entering the civil partnership in UK can be entirely explained by our London immigration lawyer, in order for you to benefit from the best possible result in your case.

UK civil partner visa length

The civil partner visa for UK is issued for 33 months if the candidate applies from overseas, or 30 months if applying from inside the country. You can further prologue it for another 30 months, which will take you to reside in the UK up to five years. After these years, if you are still living with your initial civil partner, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Our London immigration lawyer is qualified to offer you broad guidance for all types of UK visas and work permits. We have extensive experience involving immigration issues in this country and we can successfully guide you through the visa process in the least amount of time with ease.

What is indefinite leave to remain?

The indefinite leave to remain grants a series of advantages for foreign citizens in UK, practically a new status that comes with benefits. The first advantage refers to the fact that the citizen living in UK is no longer seen as an immigrant. More than that, he or she can enter or leave the UK without further controls, restrictions or verifications. Citizens having the IRL status can easily apply for the civil partner visa for UK, can legally work in the country and should not have spent more than 900 days outside UK in 5 years. Having the indefinite leave to remain in UK status allows foreigners to apply for British citizenship after 5 years of living in UK. Those who do not respect the conditions regarding the period in which they can stay outside UK must know that they can lose the IRL. Additional information and legal advice about how to obtain the IRL status and the civil partner visa can be offered by our UK immigration lawyer. They can represent your case and can guide you throughout the visa application.

Can I make a visa application for my partner?

Yes, you can fill in the application form on behalf of your partner, by using the official website of UK Visa and Immigration Office. This is a legal process in which you need to complete all the information regarding your partner and the needed type of visa. You should know that you can skip all the formalities involved in a civil partner visa application if you get in touch with our UK immigration lawyer. Let us handle the entire application process for you and feel free to ask us about the legal requirements involved in obtaining a visa for UK.

How to avoid a visa application rejection

In most of the rejection cases, the “guilt” is found among the incomplete visa applications, in matters of documents. In other words, a visa application that is not sustained by the required papers and information as solicited by the UKVI will definitely lead to rejection. There are cases in which persons applying for a civil partner visa do not provide evidence about the civil partnership, earnings, and employment status. In order to avoid a visa rejection, you might want to solicit the legal assistance of an experienced London immigration lawyer and find out all about the legal requirements.

How do I prove the civil partnership is genuine?

Evidence must sustain a civil partnership when applying for a civil partner visa for UK. For example, one should make proof of living together, of the children involved if it is the case, a shared bank account or savings. The immigration authorities have the right to verify such information when dealing with your civil partner visa application for UK, so it is suggested to correctly collaborate for the best possible result. This is also a case where our team of immigration solicitors in London can give proper legal advice and guidance when preparing the necessary documents for visa application.

What happens if my visa application is rejected?

If your civil partner visa application is rejected, it is recommended to get in touch with our immigration lawyers in London and ask for legal advice as soon as possible. They can appeal the verdict and represent you in front of the authorities while preparing your case. This means that if the visa application was incorrectly made, they can guide you towards the proper steps for a future application. More than that, if there is no other way to join your partner, you should know that proof is needed in this case and presented to the immigration authorities. The visa rejection cases might be complex, particularly if civil partner visas are involved. This is where the legal support and advice of our immigration lawyers in London will prove extremely helpful.

What are the next steps once I receive the civil partner visa for UK?

Persons who obtained the civil partner visa for UK must enter the country in the next 30 days and apply for a biometric residence permit. This is an important step to be considered as soon as the visa application has been accepted. Otherwise, if the biometric residence permit is not picked up, the visa can be withdrawn.

Below you can find some interesting facts about UK immigration:

  1. Around 612,000 citizens migrate to the UK from March 2018 to March 2019.
  2. Approximately 333,000 non-EU immigrants entered UK in the same period.
  3. By the end of 2018, around 785,000 UK citizens were living in EU states, except Ireland.
  4. According to a recent survey, around 36% of the interviewed immigrants said they came for work in UK.

Please feel free to contact us if you wish to receive the right advice regarding immigration issues within the UK, including the one related to the civil partner visa for UK.