Duration of stay
Requirements for the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers in UK
In order to be eligible for the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers in UK, all the following criteria have to be met:
- the candidate must have a certificate of sponsorship reference number. Our UK immigration lawyer can give you more information on this matter and about UK residence card;
- the applicant is offered a salary of at least GBP 20,800 per year unless certain conditions are imposed;
- the visa aspirant knows English at a satisfactory level;
- the candidate owns GBP 945 in savings, in order to show that he/she is able to support himself/herself. However, if the sponsor is “A-rated” and it is mentioned on the sponsorship certificate that the applicant will not claim benefits during his/her stay in the UK, this requirement is not compulsory.
If you do not meet these criteria, our London immigration lawyer might help you with more information about the rules imposed by the authorities regarding the Tier 2 visa for employees of multinational companies. They can also help you obtain a residence permit in UK.
What you are allowed to do and what you cannot in UK
- work for your sponsor in the position stated in the sponsorship certificate;
- perform a second job in the same domain and at the same level as your principal job for a maximum of 20 hours a week;
- perform a job that presents a shortage of employees in the UK for a maximum of 20 hours a week;
- work as a volunteer;
- a proof provided that your studies do not interrupt the job you are hired to do;
- travel overseas and return inside the country;
- take your family members – husband, wife, partner, a child under 18 years of age or child over 18 if he/she is momentarily in the country as a dependant – with you.
- possess more than 10% of the sponsor’s share (provided you produce more than GBP 155,300 yearly);
- have access to public funds;
- begin to work before obtaining the visa ;
- apply for a second job until you have begun working for the company that sponsored you.
Types of Tier 2 visa for skilled workers in UK
- tier 2 intra-company transfer visa;
- tier 2 visa for religious workers;
- tier 2 visa for sportsmen.
How can employers search for skilled workers in UK?
Necessary documents when applying for a Tier 2 visa for skilled workers
As it is known, but good to remember, one must have a valid passport or identification card when preparing the documents for the needed visa, in this case, the Tier 2 visa for skilled workers. Additionally, it is necessary to provide details about the financial status, in order for the authorities to make sure that you can properly live in the UK without having to ask and access the public funds. The English language condition should also be taken into consideration because a document or proof of a qualification that provides your skills will be necessary when applying for this kind of visa. Citizens from specific countries might need to make a tuberculosis test.
Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches
The Tier 2 visa for sportsmen is available for non-EU/EEA citizens and Switzerland who are qualified in this area and who accepted different jobs in UK. This kind of visa has a validity of 5 years and it can be extended or changed if you switch jobs. There are cases in which qualified persons are eligible for Tier 1 visa for talented people, however, it is best to see the options in the first place and to ask for legal advice from our London immigration lawyer. Just like in the case of other skilled workers who accepted jobs in UK, the certificate of sponsorship is part of the Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches. Plus, proof of English language is required.
Can I apply for Tier 2 visa UK from my home country?
Yes, the applications for Tier 2 visa UK are possible from the country you live in. However, it is suggested to pay attention to the legal requirements prior to the application. This is where you can get in touch with our specialists and ask for legal assistance and representation. The UK Visas and Immigration Office accepts the online application if all the documents are correctly submitted. In some cases, foreigners do not respect the whole visa requirements and face visa rejections. Instead of facing such difficulties, it is best to solicit the support of our UK immigration lawyer.
Who qualifies for a Tier 2 visa for UK?
Having the certificate of sponsorship issued by a British employer, accepting a job listed on eligible occupations, and being paid in accordance to the type of work are among the eligibility criteria for a Tier 2 visa for UK. One should note that you cannot apply for a Tier 2 visa for skilled workers if you do not confirm the job in UK. All these important aspects can be entirely explained by one of our immigration solicitors in London, so feel free to direct your inquiries to our specialists.
Timeframe for visa application
It is important to note that the certificate of sponsorship will comprise information about the starting date of your job in UK. The visa application must be made in time, up to 3 months before you start the work in UK. Normally, the decision regarding your Tier 2 visa for UK is made in approximately 3 weeks if applied outside the country or 8 weeks if the application was made in UK. In any case, we suggest you discuss all the legal aspects with our specialists in immigration in UK, so you can apply in time for a Tier 2 visa and skip any possible misunderstandings. Please note that medical staff can apply for a Health and Care Worker visa instead of a Tier 2 visa for skilled workers. As a reminder, this kind of visa does not allow you to access public funds.
How to extend the Tier 2 visa for UK
If you have the same job in UK, yet your visa expires, you need to extend it prior to the expiration date. The current certificate of sponsorship will be used for extension, and the employer can handle the extension, alongside our immigration lawyers in UK. If your visa is about to expire, make sure you apply for an extension in time, in order to avoid any possible penalties imposed by the authorities. We mention that you should wait for the decision of the visa extension and not leave UK, otherwise, the authorities might not grant the extension of a Tier 2 visa for skilled workers in UK.
Choosing our specialists in immigration in UK
The visa and immigration requirements for specific categories of citizens suffered changes due to Brexit that entered into force starting with January 2021. This means that UK is no longer part of the European Union, so support for knowing the new immigration rules is required. We work closely with the immigration authorities in UK, in order to update with the legislation changes and to help foreign citizens apply and obtain the proper type of visa. We offer professionalism, confidentiality, proficiency, and transparency when working with our customers. Here are some facts and figures about immigration and population in UK:
- Most of the immigrants are established in London, with around 3.3 million citizens.
- Most of the immigrants in UK come from India, around 863,000 being registered in 2019.
- Around 68 million is the total population of UK, as revealed by worldometers.info.
- UK represents around 0.87% of the total population of the world.
Our immigration solicitors in London can advise you on how to obtain a Tier 2 visa for skilled workers. If you would like to know more information about a residence permit in UK or British citizenship, please contact us.