We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Immigrate to UK from Japan

Immigrate to UK from Japan

Foreign nationals who immigrate to UK from Japan can do so for work or business purposes, to study, or to reunite with family members already living in the country. Our UK immigration lawyer can assist you if you are planning on coming to UK to work or do business. Read below to find out more about the types of visas and reach out to our team as soon as you decide to relocate.

Types of visas for moving to the UK from Japan

The right type of visa you apply for before entering the UK will depend on your motives to remain in the country for a long period of time.

Japanese nationals do not need a visa to come to the UK as tourists. In this case, they can stay for up to 6 months and comply with the standard visitor requirements. However, for longer stays, and especially for stays during which they will engage in remunerated work or study, they need to apply for the right type of visa.

If you are considering how to immigrate to UK from Japan, you will need to choose one of the following visas:

  • Study: you can remain in the United Kingdom for short-term courses which are between 6 months and up to 11 months or long-term studies;
  • Work: many foreign nationals immigrate to UK from Japan based on a work visa; this visa depends on one’s skills and qualifications and a job offer or sponsorship needs to be in place;
  • Join your family: if you are the spouse of a Japanese citizen who has British citizenship or settlement right, you can apply for a visa to join him or her;
  • Start a business: if moving to the UK from Japan is motivated by your intention to start a business, you can apply for the Start-up visa or the Innovator visa.

Student visas are awarded to applicants who have been admitted to a licensed college or university and who already have their confirmed place. Examples include Imperial College London, the University of London and King’s College London.

It is important to note that the visa application needs to be approved before you travel to the UK. This is why we advise foreign nationals, including Japanese citizens, to work together with our immigration lawyer in London. We can ensure a correct application, as well as the gathering of all the needed documents.

Conditions for visa applications when you immigrate to UK from Japan

There are many reasons why people immigrate to UK. For instance, international migration is significantly influenced by economic and labor market considerations, and employment is presently the primary motivator for relocation to the United Kingdom. People are drawn to the UK for various reasons, including the language, educational possibilities, and establishing strong networks.

The applications for all of the types of visas described above include submitting an application form along with identity documents and other visa-specific documents. Once you apply, you can expect an answer in approximately 3 to 8 weeks.  If you have moved to UK from Japan, and now you are looking for expert legal services to get residency in UK and understand its requirements, you are welcome to get in touch with our lawyers.

Application for a Family of a Settled Person visa for UK

Japanese citizens can apply for the Family of a Settled Person Visa if they have family settled in the UK under the Indefinite Leave to Remain status or British citizenship. Here is some information about this type of visa:

  • Applicants must be over 18 years old.
  • Japanese citizens must prove the degree of kinship with the persons settled in the UK.
  • Information about the domicile for relocation, if there is enough space, is required.

It is important to state that this type of visa allows a stay of at least 6 months in the UK, but not for more than 33 months. There is, however, the possibility of extending this type of visa. We recommend specialized support from our UK immigration lawyers in this endeavor.

Applying for a spouse/partner visa as a Japanese citizen

In the case of Japanese citizens who are in a civil partnership or have a spouse living in UK as a settled person, they have the spouse or partner visa for UK at their disposal. Here is information about this type of visa:

  • It must be proven that the relationship is genuine and subsisting.
  • The marriage certificate that attests to the respective relationship or proof of cohabitation in the case of civil partnership is required.
  • GBP 18,600 per year must be the minimum income to be able to apply for a spouse/partner visa for UK.

In the case of this visa, one should know that he/she can work in UK, as long as he/she remains in the respective relationship. Also, to better understand the eligibility criteria for a spouse/partner visa for UK, we recommend the legal services offered by our immigration solicitors in London.

How to apply for a UK Global Talent Visa as a Japanese

Citizens from Japan can apply for the UK Global Talent Visa if they accept jobs in specific industries such as:

  • Science,
  • Engineering,
  • Medicine,
  • Digital technology,
  • Film and television,
  • Fashion design,
  • Architecture.

Interested candidates must receive an official endorsement from specific endorsing bodies accepted in UK. Among them are the following:

  • The Royal Academy of Engineering,
  • The British Academy,
  • The Royal Society,
  • UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).

To be eligible and endorsed by the above-mentioned institutions, one can opt for the following routes:

  • Endorsed founders,
  • Associate review,
  • Individual fellowships,
  • Academic and research appointments.

It is also important to note that most responses to applications for UK Global Talent Visa are decided within 3 weeks from the date of the applicant’s application. Here are other important aspects:

  • You must apply for the Global Talent Visa for UK at least 3 months before your trip to this country.
  • The Home Office may also request other information, where necessary, which may lead to the extension of the period until you receive an answer.
  • Around GBP 623 is the UK Global Talent Visa Application fee.
  • Based on endorsement, the visa fee might cost around GBP 167, alongside the cost of endorsement of about GBP 456.
  • You can also include dependents on the UK Global Talent Visa application for an individual cost of approximately GBP 623.

How long you can remain in UK

Our UK immigration lawyer offers some examples below about the period of time you can spend in this country:

  • 5 years for student visas that are for degree levels and 2 years for student visas below degree level;
  • 3 years for the innovator visa; if you relocate to UK from Japan with this visa, you can renew it for another 3 years with no limit on the number of extensions;
  • 2 years for the start-up visa, without the possibility to extend it;
  • Up to 5 years for the skilled worker visa; this can be extended.

Other issues should be taken into account when you choose to immigrate to UK from Japan. We list some of the conditions for the skilled worker visa below:

  • The employer needs to be approved by the Home Office;
  • The employer also needs to act as a sponsor;
  • The job position needs to be included in the eligible list;
  • The remuneration needs to comply with the requirements for the type of work; specific eligibility criteria can apply according to the job position;
  • The job needs to be confirmed before the visa application is submitted;
  • Sufficient English knowledge is required and taking a test can be part of the requirements for this type of visa.

Working with our UK immigration lawyers

You have at your disposal help and guidance from a legal point of view if you want to relocate to UK from Japan. Our specialists can explain the types of visas available to you, plus the eligibility criteria. This way you can make sure that all the formalities are met and that there are no complexities or language barriers in the respective application. We also help Japanese citizens to apply for a residence permit or work permit for UK.

On the other hand, we assist foreign nationals from around the world who wish to come to work, study, or start a business in the UK. We are also able to help you if you want to immigrate to UK from South Africa, Australia, or other countries. Besides this, our immigration lawyers offer information about the potential routes of getting citizenship in UK.

Contact us if you want to relocate to UK from Japan. Our immigration specialists are able to answer any questions, irrespective of the purpose of your stay, and will help you throughout your relocation process.