Foreign nationals who immigrate to UK from Japan can do so for work or business purposes, to study or to reunite with family members already living in the country. Those coming to the UK to work in a skilled job have the option to apply for a special type of visa that will allow them to engage in this sort of work (scientific, managerial, skilled administrative roles or others).
If you want to relocate to UK from Japan for work purposes, you have the option to apply for a skilled work visa, to continue your work as part of a multinational company via an intra-company transfer or work in a Youth Mobility Scheme, based on your age.
Our UK immigration lawyer can assist you if you are planning on coming to England to work or do business. Read below to find out more about the types of visas and reach out to our team as soon as you decide to relocate.
Table of Contents
Types of visas for moving to the UK from Japan
The right type of visa you apply for before entering the UK will depend on your motives to remain in the country for a long period of time.
Japanese nationals do not need a visa to come to the UK as a tourist. In this case, they can stay for up to 6 months and comply with the standard visitor requirements. However, for longer stays, and especially for stays during which they will engage in remunerated work or study, they need to apply for the right type of visa.
If you are considering how to immigrate to UK from Japan, you will need to choose one of the following visas:
- Study: you can remain in the United Kingdom for short-term courses which are between 6 months and up to 11 months or long-term studies;
- Work: many foreign nationals immigrate to UK from Japan based on a work visa; this visa depends on one’s skills and qualifications and a job offer or sponsorship needs to be in place;
- Join your family: if you are the spouse of a Japanese citizen who has British citizenship pr settlement right, you can apply for a visa to join him or her;
- Start a business: of moving to the UK from Japan is motivated by your intention to start a business, you can apply for the Start-up visa or the Innovator visa.
Student visas are awarded to applicants who have been admitted to a licensed college or university and who already have their confirmed place. Examples include Imperial College London, the University of London or King’s College London.
It is important to note that the visa application needs to be approved before you travel to the UK. This is why we advise foreign nationals, including Japanese citizens, to work together with our immigration lawyer in London. We can ensure a correct application, as well as the gathering of all the needed documents.
Conditions for visa applications when you immigrate to UK from Japan
The applications for all of the types of visas described above include submitting an application form along with identity documents and other visa-specific documents. Once you apply, you can expect an answer in approximately 3 to 8 weeks.
How long you can remain in the UK depends on the type of visa you apply for. Our UK immigration lawyer offers some examples below:
- 5 years for student visas that are for degree levels and 2 years for student visas below degree level;
- 3 years for the innovator visa; if you relocate to UK from Japan with this visa, you can renew it for another 3 years with no limit on the number of extensions;
- 2 years for the start-up visa, without the possibility to extend;
- up to 5 years for the skilled worker visa; this can be extended.
Other issues should be taken into account when you choose to immigrate to UK from Japan. We list some of the conditions for the skilled worker visa below:
- the employer needs to be approved by the Home Office;
- the employer also needs to act as a sponsor;
- the job position needs to be included in the eligible list;
- the remuneration needs to comply with the requirements for the type of work; specific eligibility criteria can apply according to the job position;
- the job needs to be confirmed before the visa application is submitted;
- sufficient English knowledge is required and taking a test can be part of the requirements for this type of visa.
Contact us if you want to relocate to UK from Japan. Our immigration specialists are able to answer any questions, irrespective of the purpose of your stay, and will help you throughout your relocation process.
We assist foreign nationals from around the world who wish to come to work, study, or start a business in the UK. We are also able to help you if you wish to immigrate to the UK from South Africa, Australia or other countries.