The requirements for naturalization as a spouse for a British citizen are very comparable to those regarding naturalization in the UK. The main modification is that there is a smaller residency condition of three years in the UK opposite to six years. In order to obtain proper results when you apply for naturalization as a spouse of a UK citizen, you should solicit help and guidance from our immigration solicitors in London. Our specialists can help you with UK residence card or British citizenship.
Table of Contents
Important conditions for naturalization as a spouse
The three years of the residency condition are calculated from the date your naturalization application is accepted by the Home Office. Every step of the process will be entirely explained by our UK immigration lawyer, so it is advisable to ask for legal assistance and information. Here are the important requirements if you apply for naturalization as a spouse for a UK citizen:
- you need to have good integrity;
- you must be aged 18 or over and without mental issues;
- you propose to live in the UK or in Crown Service abroad (working straight for a UK Government institute), or be hired by an international organization of which the UK is an affiliate, or be employed by a company or society founded in the country;
- you should be able to speak English, or Welsh, or Scottish Gaelic. Exceptions apply to old and/or mentally ill individuals.
Interested in obtaining a residence permit in UK or British citizenship? Please talk to our UK immigration lawyer for more details. The legal support of a London immigration lawyer is important.
In order to obtain naturalization as a wife of an UK citizen, you should meet the following conditions, which regard the residency:
- you must have not been broken any UK immigration guidelines at any time during this three-year period of residence in the UK.
- in the course of the three-year period you must have not been overseas for more than 9 months;
- you must have been living in the UK at the beginning of the three-year period;
- on the date that your application is taken by the Home Office, you must have permanent residence in the UK;
- during the last 12 months of the three-year period, you must have not been overseas for more than 90 days.
Please feel free to contact our immigration solicitors in London if you need extra information or assistance about naturalization as a spouse for a UK citizen. Details about how to obtain a residence permit in UK can be solicited from our London immigration lawyer.