We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Tier 2 Visa for Sportsmen and Coaches in UK

Tier 2 Visa for Sportsmen and Coaches in UK

The Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches is available for persons with this status and who come from countries outside EU and EEA. There are several categories in which a citizen can fit in from a visa point of view, and complete information and legal assistance can be offered by our immigration solicitors in London. Regardless of the reason why you are interested in relocating to UK, our team can provide the necessary support and guidance. Our advisors can help you obtain a UK residence card or British citizenship.

Who can apply for a Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches?

The Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches in UK, or the Tier 2 (Sportsmen) visa can be granted for people who:

  • originate from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, just like in the case of other UK visas;
  • are elite sportspersons or qualified coaches recognized by the sports authority in their countries of origin as internationally recognized at the highest level;
  • are endorsed by the sport governing authority in their country of origin;
  • will get hired in the UK to cultivate their sport at the highest level.

If you are not a sportsperson or a coach and you wish to apply for a UK visa, you might qualify for the Tier 1 visa for talented people. Information about UK residence card can be offered by our London immigration lawyer.

Duration of stay

With the Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches in UK, you are able to stay in the country for a maximum of three years. After this initial period, you can apply for a visa extension for another three years. You also have the possibility of applying for another type of visa, on request.

Other requirements for the Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches in UK

In order to obtain the Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches in UK, the candidate also has to meet all the following requirements:

  • he or she has to own a certificate of sponsorship reference number from his or her sponsor;
  • the applicant has to satisfy the English language requirement in two ways:
  1. by passing the approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and understanding;
  2. by owning an academic qualification which was held in English and is recognized by the UK NARIC as being the equivalent of a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or Ph.D., unless he or she originates from certain countries;
  • the candidate has to own GBP 945 in savings, in order to show he or she is able to support himself or herself.

There are certain exemptions from these criteria. Our immigration solicitors in London can give you more information on this subject and about how to obtain a residence permit in UK or British citizenship.

Certificate of sponsorship in UK

A certificate of sponsorship represents a reference number that contains data about the position you are hired for and your personal details. It is issued by your sponsor. The certificate of sponsorship is valid for three months from the date it was issued to you.

Citizens who do not need to meet the language requirements

A Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches can be obtained without having to consider the English language requirements by citizens from the Bahamas, Guyana, New Zealand, Jamaica, Belize, Canada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Antigua and Barbuda, or the Dominican Republic.

Who is exempt from the fund requirement?

Even though one must make proof he/she owns at least GBP 945 in order to apply for a Tier 2 sportsmen and coach visa, there are cases where such condition is not imposed. For example, the citizens who already live and work in the UK but are interested in the visa mentioned above. Also, religious workers, missionaries, media organization workers and holders of a Tier 2 visa interested in applying for sportsmen and coach visa are not imposed to provide the amount of GBP 945. All persons who already have a work permit in UK can apply for a Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches without having to consider the requirements of this visa in matters of finances. Our UK immigration lawyer can help individuals apply for the proper visa for their needs or for a residence permit in UK and can explain the terms and conditions as stipulated by the legislation in the country.

What you are allowed to do and what you cannot in UK

With the Tier 2 visa for sportsmen and coaches in UK, you will be allowed to

  • work for your sponsor in the position mentioned in the certificate of sponsorship;
  • perform a second job;
  • play for your national team in the country;
  • get hired as a sports broadcaster;
  • work as a volunteer;
  • study, as long as it does not interrupt the job you are sponsored for;
  • travel overseas and come back in the UK;
  • take your family members – husband, wife, partner, child under 18 years of age or child over 18 years of age, if he or she is already in the UK as a dependant – with you.

However, you cannot:

  • have access to public funds;
  • begin or run a business;
  • apply for a second job until the date you began working for your UK sponsor.

Would you like to know more information on this topic or about British citizenship? Our London immigration lawyer can help, so please contact us.