If you would like to buy a property in UK and get citizenship, we recommend you talk to our London immigration lawyer and see the conditions imposed to foreigners. Citizenship by investment in UK comes with a series of visa requirements, among which, the investment criteria that must be respected.
Apply for a Tier 1 investor visa
The Tier 1 investor visa can be gained by non-EU/EEA citizens who intend to make investments in UK and gain citizenship. The main requirement for gaining such a visa is to make investments of at least GBP 2 million. Here are other essential conditions to apply for citizenship by investment in UK:
- The applicant for Tier 1 visa for investors must be at least 18 years of age.
- A bank account in UK must be opened for depositing investments.
- The applicant must spend the capital in UK.
- The source of the financial investment must be legal. The British authorities can make complete verifications in this matter.
There is no restriction for family members and dependents, meaning that the visa applicant can apply on their behalf too. It is important to note that this kind of capital can be invested in government bonds or other types of companies registered in UK. Further details on this topic can be discussed with our immigration solicitors in London who can help foreigners with the investor visa requirements.
Before obtaining citizenship, a foreign citizen must first obtain UK residency.
Requirements for Tier 1 investor visa
A series of conditions must be respected for obtaining a Tier 1 visa for investors as a foreigner. A valid passport, a clear criminal record, marriage or civil partnership certificate are the necessary documents that must be provided for this kind of visa application. The British authorities will also solicit a tuberculosis test for citizens from countries like Thailand, Ukraine, Haiti, Algeria, or China, to give a few examples. The application for a Tier 1 visa for investors in UK is relatively straightforward and can be issued in approximately 3 weeks if the documents are accepted. The entire visa application process can be overseen from a legal point of view by one of our immigration lawyers in London.
What are the benefits of the investor visa in UK?
Citizenship by investment in UK is possible to those who apply for this kind of visa. A passport can be issued in about 5 or 6 years, and citizenship is gained by the entire family. There are also other essential advantages for Tier 1 visa for investors in UK:
- Besides enjoying great standards of living in UK, healthcare and education are on top of the list.
- There are many business advantages and if you want to buy a property in UK and gain citizenship you can easily access specific programs.
- There is visa-free access to more than 164 countries if you invest in UK and gain citizenship.
- The taxation regime is quite beneficial for those making investments in UK.
When do I obtain British citizenship?
British citizenship is granted after living at least 6 years in UK as a foreigner with a Tier 1 investor visa and minimum investments of at least GBP 2 million. First of all, one must apply for indefinite leave to remain after living 5 years in UK, and then, after a total of 6 years in the country, the citizenship application is possible. The whole procedure related to citizenship can be explained by one of our London immigration solicitors who can also explain the formalities.
The innovator visa for UK
An investment of at least GBP 50,000 for a new business in UK can be made by foreigners who want to settle in the country. Citizenship by investment in UK presents the same conditions for this kind of visa, meaning that after settlement, the application for naturalization is permitted after living 6 years in UK. The innovator visa programme allows one or two business partners in UK. Once gaining British citizenship, the UK passport is also issued. This kind of document is quite important and comes with a series of advantages.
Here are some facts and figures about UK immigration:
- According to the Office for National Statistics in UK, more than 313,000 citizens moved to UK during March 2019-March 2020.
- Around 437,000 non-EU citizens entered UK during the same period, intending to stay at least one year in the country.
- In the case of EU citizens, nearly 195,000 entered UK during the same period, intending to stay for more than just 12 months in the country.
Interested in more about citizenship by investment in UK or how to buy a property in UK and get citizenship? We suggest you contact our team of immigration solicitors in London and see how they can help you from a legal point of view.