Malaysian citizens do not need a visa to enter UK and stay for up to 6 months. As for those who want to stay longer, the visa scheme enters the discussion. The formalities for immigrating to UK from Malaysia can be discussed with our London immigration lawyer.
Do Malaysian citizens need a visa to enter UK?
No, there is no need for a visa to immigrate to UK from Malaysia and stay for up to 6 months. However, a valid passport is needed for entering UK. There are a few things to consider when visiting UK for tourism purposes:
- The British authorities will ask about the reason of your visit to UK when you arrive from Malaysia.
- Proof of sufficient funds for the entire stay in UK will be solicited.
- Information about your accommodation in UK must be presented at the time you arrive in UK.
- The authorities can also ask for details about the flight return ticket to Malaysia.
- Minors traveling to UK must present a consent letter signed by a parent, guardian or tutor.
If you would like to migrate to UK from Malaysia, you should pay attention to the relocation rules. It is forbidden to ask for public funds in UK or accept a job in a British company. Feel free to discuss further details about how to immigrate to UK from Malaysia with our immigration solicitors in London.
Work permits for Malaysian citizens in UK
Citizens from Malaysia who accepted jobs in UK must first obtain a residence and work permit. A work visa is required if you want to work for more than 6 months in UK. Here is information about work visas in UK:
- Skilled worker visa for UK – you can work as a representative of a foreign branch in UK.
- Accepting jobs in a religious community also requires a skilled work visa.
- A temporary work visa is needed for Malaysian citizens who want to activate in arts or entertainment, sports, as volunteers, or as part of research and training programes.
- A representative of an overseas business visa is needed for such activities.
Would you like to migrate to UK from Malaysia? You should get in touch with our London immigration lawyers who can help you with the visa and work permit procedures.
Our lawyers can also explain all the requirements for applying for British citizenship.
Applying for a Start-up visa for UK
Innovative businesses can be registered in UK by Malaysians, especially if such businesses are something different. A Start-up Visa is needed in this case, if you respect the eligibility criteria. The UK immigration authorities will ask for a business plan as the main step for obtaining this kind of visa. Such a business plan must show that you have an original idea with development potential in the UK. It is important to note that such a visa has a validity of 2 years and it cannot be extended. One of our immigration lawyers in UK can tell you more details on this topic.
Apply for a Tier 1 visa for investors
Entrepreneurs from Malaysia who want to do business in UK have other options too. The Tier 1 visa for investors is issued for investments of at least GBP 2 million in UK. The British authorities are entitled to make verifications about the source of the investment funds. Plus, such an investor must have a clear criminal record when deciding on business in UK.
The Tier 1 visa for investors comes with many benefits like bringing the family members and enjoy the validity of more than 3 years. Permanent residence and citizenship can be obtained under certain circumstances. If you would like to migrate to UK from Malaysia, you should send your inquiries to our London immigration lawyers.
Malaysian domestic workers in UK
If you accepted a job as a domestic worker in a private household in UK, it is required to pay attention to the needed visa. Nannies, cooks, private drivers, and cleaners from Malaysia need to apply for this kind of visa, respecting the eligibility criteria. Here is important information about visa for domestic workers in UK:
- The visa application must start within 3 months prior to the arrival in UK.
- This kind of visa has a validity of 6 months.
- One cannot change the job for which he/she came to UK.
- Family members can enter UK with the proper type of visa.
- Malaysian domestic workers cannot access public funds.
We have also gathered some facts and figures about the UK population and immigration:
- More than 68 million citizens live in UK, according to numbers offered by worldometers.info.
- Nearly 49% of non-EU citizens came to UK in 2019 for family reunification and other reasons.
- Around 75,000 Malaysians lived in UK, according to statistics for 2017.
Interested in more details about how to migrate to UK from Malaysia? Please contact our team of immigration solicitors in UK and send your inquiries.